How your kidney physicians in Des Moines, IA, can help you manage your autoimmune disease
Autoimmune diseases can dramatically affect your entire body and your quality of life. If you are suffering from an autoimmune disease, you need the help of an expert, your kidney doctor, known as a nephrologist.
The nephrologists at Iowa Kidney Physicians in Des Moines, IA, provide a wide range of medical services, including diagnosis and treatment of autoimmune disease. They have two convenient office locations in Des, Moines, IA, at Methodist Plaza and Riverpoint to help you.
If you are wondering about autoimmune diseases and your health, you need to know the fact. These are some frequently asked questions and answers about autoimmune diseases:
How Does an Autoimmune Disease Affect Your Body?
When you have an autoimmune disease, it means your immune system doesn’t recognize normal body tissue and attacks it like it would a foreign substance.
What Causes an Autoimmune Disease?
Genetics is a main component of autoimmune disease, but there are other factors including environmental toxins, viruses, or bacteria.
What Are Some Examples of Autoimmune Diseases?
- Rheumatoid arthritis, which causes joint destruction
- Lupus, which causes the body to attack organs and systems
- Multiple sclerosis, commonly known as MS, which causes nerve damage and impaired transmission of nerve impulses
- Myasthenia gravis, commonly known as MG, which attacks skeletal muscles and nerves
- Guillain-Barre syndrome, which causes loss of nerve function and can lead to paralysis
How Is an Autoimmune Disease Treated?
- Depending on the type of autoimmune disease, common treatments include:
- Drug therapies including corticosteroids, immunosuppressive medications, antidepressants, or anticonvulsants
- Patient referrals to multidisciplinary providers, including physical, occupational, or speech therapists
- Patient counseling to help you and your family cope with day-to-day living
- Surgical therapy to relieve spine and peripheral nervous system symptoms
To find out more about the signs, symptoms, and treatment of autoimmune diseases, call the nephrologists at Iowa Kidney Physicians in Des Moines, IA. You can reach them in Methodist Plaza at (515) 336-6557, or in Riverpoint at (515) 243-3161, so call today.